Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hair up, p.j.'s on, we are free!

Have you ever gotten home after some sort of formal occasion where you needed to look fancy and the first thing you do when you step over the threshold of your door is run into your room, change into the most comfortable clothes you own (most likely your p.j.'s) wash your face, pull your hair up (assuming your are a girl), and plop on the couch in blissful relief because you are home, and you can just be you; no heels, no dress, no plastered hair?
I was recently at a high school during an outreach to the freshman there and I had this scenario ran through my mind. As I viewed the girls, and as I looked into my own self, I realized how much we just want to be us, be comfortable, be home. But there is opposition to that, isn't there? Well, if our hair isn't done right, if our clothes don't match the fashion standards, if our makeup isn't making us look bright and happy and awake, then, well, it needs to be! But what I've found is trying to maintain that, striving for such perfection and outward happiness is tiring. I just want to be me- no makeup, no fancy hair that has all the product in it to give lift, shine, and curl- no, nothing. I just want to be me, purple star p.j. pants and all!
God wants us to come to Him, just as we are, however quirky onlookers we view ourselves as. God loves His daughters to just have no reserve in approaching him (his sons too, but fella's, I'm sorry I just can't relate to you as well). God requires no clean up.
So I want to make this declaration to any of my sisters who feel like they have been striving in maintaining a life that personifies something much more perfect than what they know they are: Let's live, for our God, and be free to come to him with all our imperfections in tact! Yes, take out those contacts, put on the nerdy glasses, wash your face, pull back your hair, slip on the sweat pants, laugh, smile, be unashamed of who your Father has made you to be! No more pretending; you are beautiful and wonderful and full of unique character just the way you are, and you don't even have to try!
WE ARE FREE, my sisters, we are free!
"What heights of love, what depths of peace, when fears are stilled, when strivings cease. My Comforter, my All in all, here in the love of Christ I stand."

No comments:

Post a Comment