Monday, February 28, 2011

Love Roots

I'm very careful with my words; I don't spill all of my soul out to everyone. I think that is a good thing; it keeps me protected. I think it's a bad thing too; it keeps me protected.

There's something awful about exposing the depths of ones heart and soul. It's vulnerable and risky. But sometimes it is wonderful and taking the chance is great.

I have had friends I can do that with, but mostly, I've been able to do that with my parents. Is that weird? I'll answer: No, that isn't weird. Right now though, as I feel my life taking on a new maturity and independence, I have only been able to expose my all to God.

Right now is sweet in the life of Melissa Rae Shelton. I'm currently "house sitting" for a friend who is in Israel, which means I get a taste of complete independence. Sure, I still go over to my parents place (which is five blocks away) for coffee and cinnamon rolls and dinner, but I so treasure the time I get to just do my laundry and read my bible in the solitude of the two bedroom home I temporarily call mine.

A song comes to mind as a theme for my life right now: "He's called me to the wilderness where I can learn to sing. And He lets me know my bareness so I can learn to lean". God is calling me to a quietness, with just Him and me. I don't know really what He's doing, and I don't need to. I get impatient and I want to hear answers. So, I have to fight wanting to get them from the people I love and look up to and to just be set with hearing from Love Himself.

Here is something that I am more confidant to say right now: God loves me. He loves every bit about the way He created me. He has plans for me and a future for me. He's called me to serve Him and love Him and love others.

Maturity is what I'm experiencing. Growth. Roots going deep into the Love of God. I'm growing. That's good. Sometimes it takes storms to grow and roots to go deep too. That's good as well. And wildernesses make the roots go to the depths of where the water is.

I realize my thoughts are a bit scattered, and I realize that sometimes I speak in circles and confuse those who are the recipients of my words, but I also realize that I can encourage others to keep letting God do His work in them through my words, which hopefully are expressions of God's heart. So, you, who ever you are, keep letting God do His work in you and don't be afraid to walk by faith and not by sight. Cling to Him, He is your life. Love God and do what you want! Delight yourself in the Lord, and HE WILL GIVE YOU THE DESIRES OF YOUR HEART. Sometimes you don't even know what those desires are, but He'll be faithful to give them to you. This life is but a short vapor. Let your roots sink deep.

"For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height- to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God."
Ephesians 2:14-19

That's all for now.

Until next time, my dear friends and patient readers.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. I have been feeling like I need some sort of retreat myself. It is not usually there in my life as a mom of 2 toddlers, but I need to find and use the quiet moments that come about. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete