Friday, May 15, 2009

One Thing That Is Needed

Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus' feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me." And Jesus answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her."
-Luke 11:38-42
I am writing from bed. I love the versatility of laptops; thank you Lord. My hurt back is getting worse in pain, especially the days that I get straightened out from the chiropractor, today being one of those days. I am to do nothing, which as my mom explained to me, really means NOTHING. No long walks with my dog Mater, no folding clothes, cleaning dishes, picking up the house. Nothing. Though this concept of nothing is hard for me, it is the Lord's will. By not doing anything, I am being humbled and my faith in God to raise up my siblings as helpers in our house is being increased. There is such a purpose that God has for this time of doing nothing.
As I read this section of scripture one early morning last week, God was speaking, "Melissa, Melissa, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and that is to just sit at my feet."
For me God, You chose to break? For me God, You are choosing to still? For me God, You are choosing to prove Your provision? For me God, You are choosing to speak Your words of love and acceptance and delight? For me God? You choose to do this for Me? Oh Precious Father, for You, I choose to be still.
Dear ones, chosen and beloved by our God, you may not understand why the Lord is doing what He is doing in your life right now. Remember, if you are wondering what you are needing to do, there is one thing that is needed and that is for you to spend time with Jesus at His feet. That will not be taken away from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment