Monday, May 25, 2009

Setting Captives Free

I had a great morning in the Word; God is so faithful to meet me with me in these sweet quiet times.
Two years ago in June I made a dedication to read through the whole bible. I started in the Old Testament in the morning and the New Testament in the afternoons or evenings. My pattern hasn't been completely consistent; as the Lord has taken me through trials and through different books that would teach me how to act and live, to exhort me, warn me... but nonetheless, I am almost finished. God's word is so complete and precious.
This morning I read through Zephaniah. Oh, how I encourage you today, take five minutes or more to read through this book! God uses Zephaniah to proclaim the judgement of the Lord and and the blessing of Jesus the Messiah. Chapter one, verses four through six say, "I will stretch out My hand against Judah, and against all the inhabitants of Jerusalem. I will cut off every trace of Baal from this place, the names of the idolatrous priests with the pagan priests- Those who worship the host of heaven on the housetops; Those who worship and swear oaths by the LORD, but who also swear by Milcom; Those who have turned back from following the LORD, and have not sought the LORD, nor inquire of Him." Then verse 18 says, "Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the LORD's wrath; But the whole land shall be devoured by the fire of His jealousy, for he will make speedy riddance of all those who dwell in the land."
God didn't want His children worshiping other idols or giving themselves to sin. God displays such jealousy for the ones He loves. I would question God's love if He didn't chasten His children; I would question His authenticity and reason for sending Jesus to die for our sins. Through His chastening, through His destroying of sin, false gods, and sinful people who have countlessly rejected Him, God proves His love and fervor for the one's He formed with His hands, His children.
Our precious God is so gracious though! He never ever leaves us without chance of hope, opportunity for repentance or a pardoning of everything we've ever done wrong if we turn and call out to Him. Chapter two verse three says, "Seek the LORD all you meek of the earth, who have upheld His justice. Seek righteousness, seek humility. It may be that you will be hidden in the day of the LORD's anger." Verse seven says, "The coast shall be for the remnant of the house of Judah; They shall feed their flocks there; in the houses of Ashkelon they shall lie down at evening. For the LORD their God will intervene for them and return their captives." He will intervene, how assuring, how amazing! Then in verse 11, "The LORD will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; People shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." Being out in California right now, this verse so touches my heart because the I am surrounded by the ocean shores.
How incredible that our God's desire is to destroy all that hurts His children and inhibits His glory and honor and worship. His heart is so pure toward us.
The last three verses of chapter three say this: " 'I will gather those who sorrow over the appointed assembly, who are among you, to whom its reproach is a burden. Behold, at that time I will deal with all who afflict you; I will save the lame, and gather those who were driven out; I will appoint them for praise and fame in every land where they were put to shame. At that time I will bring you back, even at the time I gather you; For I will give you fame and praise among all the peoples of the earth, when I return your captives before your eyes,' says the Lord."
I encourage you, if you are seeking to know God's heart, read through the book of Zephaniah. He saves us, and that savior is Jesus Christ Himself. God sent Jesus to pay the price for all your sins. We all are sinners, not one of us is better than another; some of us sin outwardly while others confine their sins in secret, but for each and every one of us, "we are all like an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6).
This is why Jesus came: "The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed; to proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD" (Luke 4:18-19). This is the culmination of what Zephania was speaking of- the Messiah delivering the captives.
If you are being held captive and everything around you seems like it is being destroyed, know that God loves you and wants to set you free.

No comments:

Post a Comment