Thursday, December 17, 2009

Intransigent

Hello from Starbucks everyone :)
I'm sitting here in an upright seat (abnormal from the normal couch I choose) checking my emails and such. I receive Merriam-Webster's Word for the Day every day on my email account, thanks to the recommendation to do so from my outstanding dad :) (Thank you dad) and was inspired to write. Today's word is intransigent. It means "Characterized by refusal to compromise or to abandon an extreme position or attitude: uncompromising."
On how many areas of life to I consider myself to be intransigent? In what areas do I not compromise? Thinking about how compromising I am is quite saddening, but remembering how uncompromising God is stupendous!
I read in 1 John about the Love of God for us. It says, "Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. Be he who fears has not been made perfect in love." Then here is that catch: "WE LOVE HIM BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED US." Incredible intransigent love.
How foreign the Love of God is to us, in the since that we see it rarely displayed among people. And it really can't be displayed because we are so human and so full of sin! But this grips me: that there is not one thing I can do to stop making God love me madly. He passionately loved me and you before the foundations of the earth were laid and He loves with that same extremity for us now, in the present tense.
Do you know that you delight God? Do you know that you have a Father who gave His all for you? Do you know life situations don't just happen by circumstance but that God has planned your life in such intricate detail that ever step you take, breath you breathe, have been planned by Him?
Ok, now there is another thing that God has been showing me in His word. He's been showing me BELIEVE. John 11:40 says, "Jesus said to her [Martha], "Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?" Lazarus had been dead but Jesus intended to raise Him to life. Jesus' heart groaned with such love and compassion for His friend Lazarus. The humanity of Jesus is so expressed in that He wept when He was being led to the tomb of Lazarus. Jesus looks upon us the with the same humanity; He is forever going to be flesh, interceding at the right hand of God for us (Romans 8:34, Hebrews 7:25). But when Jesus assures Martha that her belief would allow her to see the glory of God, I was encouraged to believe to a greater extent.
The area of belief was also being highlighted to me in the story of Gideon. God chose Gideon to defeat the Midianites. God said to Gideon, "Surely I will be with you, and you shall defeat the Midianites as one man." God filled him with His spirit, but Gideon was a bit fearful. He asked God to prove this whole attack was from Him by asking for the fleece to be wet on morning and dry the next, and God did that for Gideon. Then God, through only 300 men, brought the Isrealites victory over Midian in a miraculous way. Gideon, though at times doubted, believed God at His word and He saw the glory of God.
God says, "I will never leave you nor forsake you" (Deut 31:6). Those words are true. God is intransigent in His purpose to stay with us.
So all these lessons, I believe, beautifully tie together in a mysteriously wondrous way that only the Holy Spirit can bring about.
God's word is good. God's word is alive, has a pulse, breaths... I can hear the heart beat of God through it.
The coffee in my cup is left to a sip now. I hope you were blessed by me spilling out my thoughts; moreso, by God speaking His word to your heart. May you remember and grow in the intransigent love of God for you today and forevermore.
"God you are Holy, God you are True. God you are faithful. God, I love you"

1 comment:

  1. Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. John 6:28&29

    *Jesus looks upon us the with the same humanity; He is forever going to be flesh, interceding at the right hand of God for us (Romans 8:34, Hebrews 7:25). Jesus forever flesh? He came in the flesh, but is risen bearing the scars, but not flesh.

    ReplyDelete