Saturday, December 26, 2009

My Christmas Eve Lesson, Taught by Ethan

Christmas Eve night I learned a great lesson from my nephew Ethan. God speaks through the youngest of His children.
We were driving to my sister's mom's house from a great Christmas Eve celebration at Petey's brother's place. Josiah had gotten a toy gun with the suction cup shooters and he was holding it as we drove. Ethan saw the gun and Ethan wanted it. The gun was still in its cardboard, twisty-tied up and secure but Ethan really wanted to shoot the gun and play with the present. Ethan's "BOOM BOOMS" turned into screams as his desire for that toy gun intensified. He was told that he needed to wait to open the gift and play with it, but he didn't like that answer too much. It was not time for Ethan to open the gift; He needed to learn a lesson of patience.
As I was listening to Ethan cry and his loving parents tell him that he needed to wait, it was as if God tapped me on the shoulder and began to talk to me. He pointed out this lesson: I desire a gift that I can see, but I need patience and I need to wait for Christmas day to open it. The time will come; the gift will be so fun to have, but the time right now is wrong. Now, I have a couple options of what to do while I'm waiting; I can scream or I can enjoy everything else around me.
Ethan has been able to play with the gun now; it's the perfect time for him to do so. He is able to laugh and enjoy it entirely.
My Christmas Eve lesson couldn't have been more perfect. May you be encouraged to trust God, your good and loving Heavenly Father, when He withholds gifts from you because the time is not yet for you to receive them. Enjoy waiting and have fun during the time of patience. The day will come, Christmas morning will arrive, and you will enjoy your gift even more than you can expect now.

1 comment: